walking by myself
down avenues that reek of time to kill
if you see me keep going
be a pass by waver
build me up, bring me down
just leave me out you name dropper
stop trying to catch my eye
i see you good you forced faker
just make it easy
you’re my enemy you fast talker
-Santigold, L.E.S. Artistes
At my 35th bday party I almost experienced my first bar fight brawl. A mob scene gathered around me. My own friends turned on me when I confessed I was not a Mary J Blige fan and actually not feeling the recent R&B all together. My views on R&B are not popular. Anyone remember the Erykah Badu incident? You wont see me at a Maxwell concert or a Musiq Soul Child concert and you will never see me enjoying anything Keyshia Cole puts out. Sans Maxwell, who is a genuine talent, I feel most artists are ho-hum. And though Maxwell, Chrissette, Alicia and others rise above the crop of johnny-come-lately r&B singers, I just dont feel it. The outcome is “I’ve heard this all before.”
What I have been excited about are white boys. The musicians of alternative, electronic, rock, 80s, alt hop… whatever you want to call it. It’s a vein of music mostly dominated by white boys in skinny jeans, white girls in all their rad glory and a few sisters doing it up (Santigold, Mapei, M.I.A.). Perhaps I walk alone in this alternative love jones? There isn’t much discussion among A-A’s on music that is not hip-hop, r&b and jazz. Admittedly, I am not much of a writer or a music critic. But in this first issue of THE ALT, I am trying my hand at sharing some of the songs that have made me stop and listen to each note and lyric. Made me change my mind and inspire a story, a goal, an ambition, a hope in life. As I am finding out more and more that life is about being able to change your mind and find a path outside of the slippery slope that is predetermined before birth. If you too, have a non-mainstream artist you’d like to share (doesn’t have to be just a musician), please post it here.
Below is a quick list of ARTIST/SONG that have had a memorable impact on my creativity and life:
- Does It Offend You? Yeah / Epic Last Song (80s reminiscent sound that completely turned me out)
- Mapei / Bebe’s Kids, this track got me pulling out my 4-finger rings, dooky gold necklace and door knocker earrings!
- Of Montreal / For Our Elegante Caste
the lyrics got me “We can do it soft core if you want but you should know I take it both ways” I can see Kanye doing something with that opening verse and beat
- Santigold / Hold the Line (feat. Mr. Lex & Santigold) Viscious!
- Phoenix / Love Like a Sunset, Part 1
- Miike Snow / Burial
- War Paint / Elephants
- Spinnerrette / Ghetto Love
- Cross / TTHHEE PPAARRTTYY
- Kudu / Playing House, the singular antithesis to Beyonce’s Single Ladies
- Kudu / Vines
- Turbo Fruits / Mamas mad cos I fried my brain
- N.E.R.D. / Spaz, a bit obvious to put NERD on here, but they are a commercial and artistic success in all the music genres they touch without sounding like the current music slipshod slop that currently passes for hits
Check them out. Tell me what you think. Share your music discovery.