Superhero Summer Part Deux
I presume by now that everybody has seen The Dark Knight. Before the movie even came out, people where raving about Heath Ledger’s performance as the Joker. I’ll admit, I was a little skeptical especially since I thought Jack Nickolson did an excellent job. But Heath Ledger stepped up and told the world “Wait till they get a load of me!” Evil, scary, funny, and dramatic all rolled into one. Is it Oscar worthy? I don’t know? I would have never thought Halle Berry would receive an Oscar for screwing that old white hillbilly in Monster’s Ball……..but I digress. But if it’s not Oscar worthy, can we deem it the best villain performance of all time?
Hmmm….here’s my Top Ten List Of Evil Movie Characters.
10. Freddy Krueger (Robert Englund) – A Nightmare On Elm Street. I didn’t want to take up too much of the list with horror movie villains so I just picked two. Freddy Krueger was a beast in this film and had little kids scared to fall asleep for weeks.
9. John Doe (Kevin Spacey) – Se7en. Here is one villain that never gets caught. How ruthless was he? Well in the end Brad Pitt never caught him, but had his wife’s head delivered to him in a box. Ruthless!
8. Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson) – The Shining (1980).
I think this one of the best parts Jack has ever played. The look on his face when he peeped through the bathroom door will be etched in my mind forever.
7. Jason Vorhees (Steve Daskewisz) – Friday the 13th
You can’t really be mad at Jason can you? He just came back to take revenge on the girl who, killed his mother. He is the most rootable guy on this list. Those kids knew damn well they should have never visited Crystal Lake, but nooooooo!.
6. Annie Wilkes (Kathy Bates) – Misery
We all know Kathy Bates isn’t a looker. But mamma always told me you can attract more flies with honey than salt. If he would have been a little bit nicer, she wouldn’t have tortured him the whole movie.
5. Ike Turner (Larry Fishburne) – What’s Love Got To Do With It?
“Sing the song like I wrote it Anna Mae! You couldn’t help but to feel sorry for Tina Turner during that movie. We see why she had those sexy legs……from running from Ike!
4. Regan MacNeil/Satan (Linda Blair) – The Exorcist
And to think this was based on a true story? Imagine how scared people were who saw this in the theaters. Paul Mooney told a tale how he and Richard Pryor were so scared they left the premiere.
3. The Joker (Heath Ledger) – The Dark Knight
I don’t know which would give me more nightmares. Being attacked by his character in the Dark Knight or being attacked by his character in Brokeback Mountian!
2. Norman Bates (Anthony Hopkins) – Psycho
How many of yall started to lock the door to the bathroom after seeing that shower scene?
1. Dr. Hannibal Lecter (Anthony Hopkins) – Silence of the Lambs
The promotional photo of Hannibal wearing straps and mask across his face was outright horrific. He was intelligent and could get into your head. Before he literally got into your head to eat your brains! (It’s funny how Hollywood has made the name Hannibal synonymous with a cannibal? We all know the REAL Hannibal was an African warrior who invaded Rome on elephants.)
Honorable Mention: Darth Vader (Star Wars), The Wicked Witch (The Wiz), Joe Pesci (Godfellas)……do you find me funny?
Do you agree? Comments….Feedback!